Let’s face the truth. It might upset you at witnessing your dog’s mournful look in the eye and hearing his high long growl or constant bark as you step out the door, about to set off on a trip, leaving your pooch behind for several days. When you just run errand for your parents, having your furry sidekick with you and sitting on your lap as a companion can be fun; supermarkets are usually situated in the vicinity of your home anyway.
But you cannot guarantee your pup’s safety and well-being when travelling long distances, and an unrestrained dog in a car is highly distracting to the driver. To prevent injuries and damage to body parts, a dog car seat should be in use.
What can happen if you drive an unrestrained dog?
Table of Contents
- What can happen if you drive an unrestrained dog?
- The top 15 dog car seats that you may not know
- 1. K&H Pet Products Bucket Booster Pet Seat (Best booster seat)
- 2. URPOWER Dog Seat (Best hammock seat)
- 3. Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat for Dogs or Cats (2nd Best booster seat)
- 4. Devoted Doggy Deluxe Dog Booster Car Seat
- 6. Pet Gear Lookout Booster Car Seat
- 7. Petbobi Pet Reinforce Car Booster Seat
- 8. AmazonBasics Pet Car Booster Bucket Seat
- 9. Kurgo Dog Seat Cover
- 10. Snoozer Lookout Car Seat
- 11. GENORTH Dog Car Seat
- 12. Petsfit Dog Car Booster Seat
- 13. Pettom Pet Car Booster Seat Carrier
- 14. PetSafe Solvit Car Cuddler Seat Cover Dog Bed
- 15. BarksBar Pet Front Seat Cover for Cars
- How to know if a dog car seat is of much help
- The alternative safety solutions apart from dog car seat
- Extra tips for driving your dog with you
- Frequently asked questions
Imagine that you give your friend a lift but he refuses to have his seatbelt on. What would you do? Would you insist on him protecting himself with seal belt or would you just drive without saying anything? Would you feel at ease or having to assure yourself constantly that nothing’s gonna happen? Driving with an unrestrained dog is the same. No one knows what can happen, so make sure he is protected by using a dog seat belt, kennel or car seat.
The surprising statistics of a study show that only 16% of dog owners had their pooch on proper restraint, and 60% admitted to be distracted by their furry friends while on roads. If you are among those 60%, you may not be fully aware of the risks involved when letting your dog sit freely without any harness.
- Accidents happen unexpectedly and make thousands suffer, including our canine companions. There are situations when you have to slam on sudden brakes or make abrupt swerving moves, which can be dramatically dangerous for you and your unrestrained dog. Many reported cases mention damaged lungs, heart, bones and skeletal structures in dogs that may never recover.
- Those heartbreaking incidents are also the consequences of continual distraction prompted by dog howling, tossing around uncomfortably, or excessive barking in excitement. Dog owners often have to turn around or watch their dogs’ behaviour through the rear-view mirror; and when their eyes are off the road, accidents can happen.
- For driver that let his pooch sit on the lap, he can be fined up to $5000. And a damaged car may not be fixed with insurance if it is your fault that you let your dog distract you. Thus, not only you and your dog’s life are threatened, but your pocket money is as well.
With a view to helping you find the best dog car seat and protect your pooch from injuries, Wewpet would love to suggest the most useful dog car seats and the detailed reviews. Check out the list for what we’ve got!
The top 15 dog car seats that you may not know
Before you read the review, we want to explain what a dog booster seat is. It is actually a car seat for dogs, but it features a cushioning pad inside to raise you pooch’s head to reduce motion sickness and enable him to see the view.
Best booster seat
Best hammock seat
Best hammock seat
1. K&H Pet Products Bucket Booster Pet Seat (Best booster seat)
- down-dipping front
- additional cushioning pad
- safety leash and buckles
- washable and high-quality cover
We did not accidentally choose the K&H Pet Product as the best dog car seat. The first impression of this dog car booster seat may indicate medium quality to some people, but that only happens when you haven’t taken time to check it out. You get what you pay for, and we’re pretty sure in this case, the price comes with excellent user experience!
The manufacturing company really knows how to make use of even the smallest feature of their product. Have you ever thought there is a car seat that allows your pooch to see the view even when he is lying down? This K&H dog car restraint just turns that into reality. Brilliant! Instead of making a normal front wall of the seat, the company have it dip down to enable a little vision for your canine friend. Now he don’t have to stand all the time to see beautiful sceneries. Moreover, a cushioning pad is added inside the seat to raise your dog’s position, reduce motion sickness and help him see more.
Another worth mentioning feature of this doggy car seat is the safety buckles and leash. There are 2 opening holes on each side of the seat where you can thread your car seat belt through so that the dog seat stays stable. For extra protection and keeping your pooch from distracting you while driving, attach your dog’s leash to one of the security leashes of the seat.
The exterior cover is made of 600-denier fabric and the interior looks like a quilt with comfortable plush for your pet. Both sides are soft and smooth to provide optimum comfort. But that doesn’t mean the walls inside the cover are not sturdy enough as hard foam guarantees absolute safety.
- you may need extra leash if your dog’s overactive
- quite expensive
2. URPOWER Dog Seat (Best hammock seat)
Size: one size only
- waterproof and wearproof
- side flap to avoid damage to upholstery
- can seat more than one dog
- non-slip surface
A dog car seat doesn’t have to have the size and shape of a normal car seat. It can be anything as long as it protects your pet and you! That’s the reason why we introduce Unpower dog seat, a high-quality product that looks like a hammock made from oxford fabric and cotton and can seat more than one pooch!
It is the side flap that contributes to the effectiveness of this seat. The flaps can be tightened with 4 firm adjustable plastic clips. The flaps along with the non-slip bottom make it impossible for the seat to slip and put your pooch’s life at risk in case of sudden brake and swerve. Side flaps are ergonomic as well with cotton and fabric made cover, protecting the upholstery against scratching. To deal with dander or dirt, use a cloth to wipe it out without having to take out the whole cover.
In case you want to provide extra protection for your dog, zip up the cover to have flaps as walls on 4 sides. There is an extra pack of dog seat belt given by the manufacturing company as a gift to keep your hyper pooch safe. The seat cannot be machine-washed, so do by hand if you need to.
- not machine-washable
- takes up space
- may not add aesthetic value to your car
3. Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat for Dogs or Cats (2nd Best booster seat)
Size: 13 x 16 x 9 inches
- 2 styles of seats
- raised seat to help dogs see better
- firm dog seat belt tether
- side pockets
Another great doggie car seat is a product developed by Kurgo company. Like other dog booster seats, this one can be attached to the headrest of your car seat and raise your dog to a level that helps him see more.
2No dog booster car seat lacks a sturdy frame that supports the shape of the seat and the weight of your dog, so Kurgo company certainly can’t leave the frame out. Plus, the cover and liner is made from waterproof fleece, preventing it from getting wet if your pooch has bladder leakage. To clean it, all you need is a wet cloth.
Moreover, the manufacturing company also wants to make sure that you and your dog have the best trip by adding extra side pockets to the seat. The space these pockets provide is enough for waste bags, leashes, thin toys and even some of your personal belongings like a magazine to keep you entertained. However, the pockets can’t be used to store a dog water bottle, but you can always bring one and put it in the cup holder.
When buying a dog car booster seat, it is important to check the safety harness such as the seat belt, leash, or buckle of the seat. This seat, luckily, has a very firm adjustable tether that can be attached to the seat belt of your car seat to protect your furry sidekick against sudden stop or injuries in a crash. Also, although Kurgo company develops two seat styles, I still recommend having your pooch stay in the rear seat for safety.
- one size only, so may not be suitable for bigger breeds
- may not protect damage to upholstery
Size: 14 x 12 x 7 inches
- simple but elegant design
- very soft interior cushion
- removable and washable liner
- firm safety leash
If you are looking for a simply but elegantly looking dog booster seat, check out the product of Devoted Doggy company immediately. Their pet car seat only has 2 colors but it looks really aesthetic and will definitely add beauty to your car.
If I have to choose one feature only that makes this seat a premium, then I would say it is the fleece liner and interior. It creates the feeling of warmth and softness we all look for in a dog seat. However, the absence of a cushioning pad may discourage you from purchasing the seat, but you can always add a thin pad or blanket on the bottom to raise your dog up. Moreover, there are several side pockets that can be used to store waste bags, leashes and whatever stuff you may bring along.
To satisfy dog owners who think that dog car seats take up too much space since they aren’t usually collapsible, the Devoted Doggy company won’t let you down for its collapsible frame. It is sturdy when set up to keep your dog safe and can flexibly be flattened when not being used.
About safety standards, the tether included works fine to prevent your pooch from jumping out or getting injured in case of accidents.
- no interior cushioning pad
Size: 3 sizes
- three attachment points for calming and stability
- firm tether
- quilted pad liner
The fifth product we introduce is a car booster seat of the PetSafe company, a prominent business in making pet products. Their items are reliable with excellent quality and long duration of use.
If your dog suffers from anxiety while on car and usually tosses and turns, being unable to find a satisfying position, the three attachment points help make the seat stable enough to reduce worry or motion sickness. Steady and firm as it seems, the structural frame can be folded flat for convenient storage.
As we have said, this product promoted by PetSafe company provides your furry companion with more than just one protection. Apart from the safety loops for attaching to your car seat belt, their is an extra firm leash inside to keep your pooch stable and deter him from jumping out. We all dread the scenario when our dogs just jump out or try to crane their head so much that they run risks of getting hurt. With a leash like this, we can focus on the roads without being distracted by our playful pooch.
Plus, the quilted pad liner enhances comfort that can induce your pooch to sleep when he’s tired. No longer hard surface, no longer bad dreams!
- quite small even with the largest size
- soft suede foam
- removable and washable cover
- two sturdy tether
- sturdy design
Looking for a dog booster car seat that has a thick and soft foam pad? Then you are reading the right section! Not as elegantly looking as product no.4, this sturdy pet seat can still surprise you with its safety help and firm structure for hyperactive dogs.
If you already saw the picture of this seat we attached above, then we’re certain your first thought should have been Great! This seat looks sturdy and safe. Not only you have such an impression of this product. Its structure and design present reliability and firmness that every dog should do, which means your road companion would feel at ease while sitting in it.
Like other dog car seat, the cover of Pet Gear’s product can be removed and machine washed, which saves you much time trying to hand wash these things (not easy at all for all the dander and dirt!).
One feature that satisfies hundreds of dog owners is the thick foam. The foam pad is soft and thick to provide your dog with utmost comfort when most dogs usually feels tired travelling all day long with a hard pad of some other seats.
For extra safety, Pet Gear company developed two firm tether that can be attached to your car seat harness, keeping your pooch stable inside.
- the bottom pad may be too thick that it raises your dog high
- no side pockets for storage
- quite cheap
- wide range of colors
- breathable mesh
- makes your dog feel cool
For girls who are looking for a cute pink dog car seat, this product is definitely for you! Its elegant design promises a more aesthetic looking for your car and your dog, and its features will not let you down either.
The materials of this seat are excellent. Although the cover is made from Oxford cloth and cannot be removed or machine washed, it can be cleaned with just a cloth in case your dog’s dander falls in the seat. And because of the oxford cloth, your pooch can still feel cool even in very hot summers.
The breathable side meshes also let in more fresh air, blowing away any bad smell that may stick on the cover. However, because the cover has some mesh areas, it can be fairly unsafe if your dog leans against it and sticks her head out of the window, so it’s best to shut the window or just opens it slightly.
In case you don’t need to use the seat, simply fold it up. The PVC tube serving as liners make sure the seat stands stably when set up and compact when not being used.
- no cushioning pad
- not suitable for big dogs if you want to hang the seat
Size: 18.5 x 17.7 x 15.7 inches
- elegant design
- down-dipping front
- thick and soft cushioning pad
Another elegantly looking car seat for dogs or cats has been developed by AmazonBasics company! The seat was aesthetically designed, with many great features.
Like the product no.1, this dog car seat of AmazonBasics has a down-dipping front that enables your furry sidekick to have a better view through the windshield. Plus, to add comfort to your dog and height to his position, the manufacturing company places a thick and soft flannel plush pad at the bottom. In case you want more space for your pooch, simply take out the pad.
The cloth used to make the cover of this seat is outstandingly soft and smooth. There is a sturdy zipper to keep the cover in place, so if you want to wash the cover, just unzip it. There are no side pockets for storage, which can make it hard for dog owners who wish to bring along something.
A safety leash is provided to keep your puppy stable, but it can loosen with a hyperactive dog, so watch it out.
- no side pockets
- non waterproof materials
- not very firm leash
Size: 55’’ wide-65’’ wide
- can seat more than one dogs
- prevent damage to upholstery
- waterproof cover
- firm safety buckles and loops
For dog owners who love car hammock seat, Kurgo has made one for you! This manufacturing company has enhanced their brand awareness with an excellent product, satisfying not just dogs but their owners as well.
Although this one is not a separate seat for your own dog, the cover is definitely worth the price for their stunning feature. It is made from non-slip, washable and waterproof cloth, which saves dog owners from the worry that their dogs’ water leakage problem may damage the upholstery. Plus, the piped edges of the cover prevent dirt from rolling onto your car seat but onto the carpet instead.
Installation is made very easy and firm with steady buckles and loops, stabilizing the seat and preventing your dog from getting hurt in case of an accident. Kurgo company care about their customers so much that they even provide safety clasps that can be attached to your car PVC pipes if the car seats cannot be folded down.
Some of you may think Kurgo cannot manage to add extra pockets for storage to this seat cover, then you’re wrong. There are 2 extra pockets that are large enough for waste bags and toys
- take up space of the whole back seat
- dogs have to sit at the back
- very firm tether
- a storage tray
- wide range of colors and patterns
- premium cover and interior pad
Every dog car seat offers a tether that can be attached to your car seat belt. That’s what we all know. But not every product has an absolutely firm tether. The tether can be the only thing that saves your dog’s life in a bad situation, so if you are willing to spend more pennies and only care about this safety solution, try out the Snoozer car seat!
Apart from the stylish design (which is the reason why many people buy the seat), this pet car seat provides a highly firm strap for connection to the seat harness. The installation may seem of very little help, as the seat isn’t actually held stable by anything except a touch with the car seat belt. However, as we have said, the buckle tether is so sturdy that your dog is completely safe when travelling with you.
The seat comes at a fairly high price, but with the strong tether and the simulated lamb’s wool interior, it is worth every penny. The interior cover is so soft and comfortable that it can keep your dog warm in cold weather. There is also a cushioning foam inside as a pad, raising your dog’s position and reducing motion sickness.
This seat doesn’t have any normal side pockets, but it features a large storage tray instead. It can be hidden under the pad or slid out, and there is plenty of space to store things.
- fairly expensive
- may move a little bit in case of sudden brake and swerve (but the tether will keep your dog safe)
- mesh areas
- blanket as a pad
The next product we want to introduce to you is a dog car seat made by Genorth company. It is highly suitable for dog owners who want their dogs to have more fresh air with breathable meshes.
In hot summer days, nothing better than travelling by car, resting in your seat with air cooling you off. Your dog may feel the same way. When there are times he needs more air, we should provide them with a seat that has mesh areas. Genorth managed to develop a seat like that. The light material of this seat also makes your dog comfortable and at ease.
The protection measures of this seat all work well, keeping your pooch safe and stable. Plus, the PVC tube is strong and durable, supporting the seat frame and your dog’s weight.
For dog owners who think that seats like this don’t have a cushioning pad, don’t worry as Genorth gives you a free thick and soft blanket that can serve as a bottom pad or a warmth-keeping cover when your puppy is sleeping.
Because the cover can have a fairly bad smell after long duration of use, you should hand wash it to ensure it is clean and has a fresh smell. Do not machine wash otherwise you’ll turn the seat into a mess.
- not suitable for very big breeds or hyperactive dogs
Size: 29 x 16 x 14 inches
- can seat 2 dogs or a large one
- 2 interior plush styles
- sturdy look and durable cover
For households with more than one dog, you may want to make a purchase that that can accommodate all your puppies instead buying 2 separate seats. Understanding your wish, Petsfit has developed a product that seats 2 medium dogs or one bigger breed.
The interior cover offers 2 styles. When the weather gets cold, use the fleece liner to keep your dog warm, and use the cloth liner to cool him off in hot summer days. Not every dog car seat has this feature, so this seat is certainly worth the price with its significant size and 2-style liner.
The cover can be removed by unzipping it, so the seat will stay fresh and clean after being washed. There are two lovely pockets on the front side, helping store pet toys or other stuff.
Because this dog car seat is made for 2 dogs, there are 2 safety leashed used to attached to your pets’ harness. If you want extra protection, you may find it necessary to have separate tethers.
- may need extra tether for more safety
- not water-restrained
- abundant ventilation
In case you want to buy a dog car seat and a carrier but also wish to save some money, Pettom company has made it much easier for you and your dog by developing a dog car seat and carrier that is airline approved. A versatile seat like this comes in handy in many situations, satisfying many people and needs.
Like other dog carriers, this pet car booster seat carrier makes sure your pooch has enough fresh air when travelling by car or plane. The mesh areas abound, keeping your dog cool and comfortable. The cover is made of durable cationic linen fabric, which is very easy to clean and able to self-adjust the temperature according to the atmosphere. Also because of its function as a carrier, the cover can’t be removed or machine-washed.
There 3 entry ways for your dog to get in, one on top and 2 side doors. There is a pocket on each side, enabling you to put in toys or waste bags for your pooch.
The hand strap on top is padded for comfortable carry. However, there is no cushioning pad inside, so you may need to put in an extra blanket for comfort. A leash is included to keep your pet safe. Our advice is you should let your dog sit at the back for security and safety.
- may not fit big breeds
- may have slight movements in case of sudden brake or swerve
- elegant design, soft suede liner cover
- thick and soft bolster, comfortable bed centre
- machine washable
Another high-quality product we want to introduce to you is a dog car seat promoted by PetSafe company. It is neither a car booster seat nor a hammock one. Instead, is is a cuddler seat cover made of premium materials and gives your dog much help while travelling by car.
The seat is highly comfortable with its outstanding cloths. The main material of the cover is microsuede liner which seems to be very smooth and soft. The side bolsters are generously stuffed with cushion to provide the maximum comfort. In addition, the plush central bed makes people and dogs fall in love with this seat cover for it ensures cozy experience even in cold winter.
For dogs are made to sit on this cover, their falling hair or dirt will not damage your upholstery but stays in one place. The cover can be removed and machine washed, making it brand new after every cleaning time.
Unfortunately, the tether for connection to your dog’s harness is not included in this seat cover, hence the need to buy a separate one.
- no walls around the edges of the seat
- no tether included
Size: 11.1 x 2.7 x 13.5 inches
- waterproof and durable materials
- prevent color bleeding
- non-slip bottom and seat anchors availbale
The last product we’d like to cover is the front seat cover of BarksBar company. It cannot be installed to rear seat, so for dog parents who usually have your dog sit at the back, try this one out.
The seat is made of high-end luxury material which is water-resistant and fast-color. Some people have a bad experience with dog car seats that shed color to their upholstery, which can be resolved with this seat cover promoted by BarksBar.
The bottom includes non-slipping plastic bands and the seat itself has several seat anchors to prevent it from sliding even with a hyperactive dog on it.
This seat cover is easy to install and the cover can be removed and machine washed, so don’t worry if your pet tracks mud or dirt on it.
- no pockets for storage
- no tether included so you may need a separate one
How to know if a dog car seat is of much help
Check out these criteria when purchasing a pet car seat. They are not ultimate, but these criteria are the easiest for dog parents to check.
- Size: For a dog booster seat, the most important factor to consider is the size. Car seat usually helps small or medium dogs. Although some breeds instantly tell whether they can fit in or not, some others may confuse us with their actual length and girth. So make sure you have your pooch’s measurement before taking the car seat home.
- Cover: The cloth manufacturers use to make the cover of a dog booster seat is often washable and waterproof. Long journeys require a water-resistant cover as your dog may excrete or he suffers from bladder leakage. Cleaning job shouldn’t be a challenge as well with a removable and machine-washed cover. But be careful, you don’t want a cover that is too thick and hard. Opt for a smooth one.
- Level of harness: A car seat for dogs must ensure safety for your dog or it isn’t worth the pennies. A tether or buckle is required which can be harnessed to a dog’s collar, keeping him stable and still in his seat when you are driving. Check for extra safety solutions provided by the company you’re considering as more is better than enough.
- Versatility: It is, in my opinion, the least important factor contributing to a premium dog car seat. It involves the ability to convert into a carrier or dog bed. Having said that, if a dog car seat satisfies every element including versatility, it is worth considering.
And make sure you know the price of the product as well!
The alternative safety solutions apart from dog car seat
Although pet car seat has many benefits, some people prefer other types of harness, such as dog kennel and seat belt. Each has its own virtues, so we think it would be useful to give information about those 3 kinds.
Type of car harness
The comparison table we have for you includes all the basic information you need to know when searching for a good car safety protection for your furry family member. They all have shortcomings, so it mainly depends on you. Stay focused and keep your eyes on the road and only stop to check out your dog when you need to.
Extra tips for driving your dog with you
There are a couple of suggestions concerning what we should do when taking our pooch with us on a car trip. As you read, take note if needed.
- Don’t feed your furry sidekick in 2 hours before the trip to avoid motion sickness.
- Throw your dog several toys and a blanket to keep him at ease. A dog with his first car experience may feel worried, and having something familiar with him can reduce anxiety (plus frequent training in cars). In addition, dogs with toys will less likely to distract you when you’re driving!
- Use sun shade if the weather gets too hot or the sun shines too brightly. Plus, never should you leave your dog in the car alone. Some people think they’ll go back after just a few minutes, but things happen and they leave longer than expected, putting their dogs at risk as cars get hotter.
- Always prepare water, treats, dog poop bags, a leash, and a medical kit for your dog. They come in handy at very important moments that you may never think they do.
- Stop the car along the way to check your dog’s condition: Is he sitting comfortably enough? Is he hungry or thirsty?
- Let your canine friend have the back seat. Don’t let fun moments trick you into letting him sit at the front as the airbag can injure him in case of accidents.
- Put a name tag on your dog’s collar, including his and your name, address, breed, appearance, and age for people can get him back to you when he’s lost or just jumps out of the car.
Frequently asked questions
Why do my dog take my car seat as soon as I leave?
This is a very interesting question. People don’t think much of their dog’s behavioral pattern when he takes their seat, but that suggests some useful things that I think you need to know.
Your dog loves you and there are hundreds of ways to show that. Sitting at your place is one of them. Taking your seat may indicate he wants feel close to you through your aroma and warmth even when you have left. He is seeking affection and familiarity, telling you that you need to pay more attention to him.
Another reason explaining this behavioral pattern is that your pooch is anxious. He may feel insecure because of something and taking your seat with the hope to reduce anxiety. He is not aware of that, but it is his instinct.
Why do dogs love to sit on your lap while on road?
Many drivers allow their dogs to sit on their lap, which is very dangerous but the dogs love it.
Like a child sitting on their parent’s lap, your dog feel safe and secure when being very near you. It can also be very fun since your furry legged friend can see more beautiful views. And because of that fun look in the eye, dog parents usually want to keep their pooch near them that way.
However, don’t let the fun part tricks you. We never suggest people do that no matter how good it feels, as your dog may get seriously injured in case of accidents with no safety harness.
Our dog’s safety should always be the top priority. We can have fun along the way, our dog may feel cool sticking his head out the window, or we love our dog so much that we let him sit on our lap while driving. None of them ensure protection for your pooch, so stay alert and careful when it comes to travelling by car.
Dog car seat was invented to enhance road safety and reduce casualties or injuries, so make sure you have your dog stay stable in his seat while enjoying the trip. There is no dog seat as the best. What we offered you is just the review and our advice about which product suits you and your furry legged friend, but we do hope the review helps you in making a good purchase.
Let’s have one car seat for your pooch and be ready to hit the road.
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?