Cats are one of the cutest animals, so it’s not hard to see why so many people choose to raise cats as pets. But raising cats is like playing with children – which is quite difficult. Especially, you are keeping a kitten. In addition to important things like learning how to feed them or taking time to train them, the question of how to litter train a kitten is also one of the big concerns of cat owners. The following article will give us more useful information.
How to litter train a kitten?
Table of Contents
Keeping a kitten can be a decision that will change your daily routine. If you are too busy, raising a cat will be very difficult for you. Because they are very young, you have to spend a lot of time to train and take care of them. In particular, teaching them to urinate and defecate properly is one of the most time-consuming and patient. But don’t be discouraged, here are some suggestions for you to know how to litter train a kitten.
- There are some common ways that cat owners choose to help their cats urinate and defecate. But for a kitten, choosing the Litter box is the most suitable and convenient option.
- When choosing the Litter box for cats, you must pay attention to the following.
– Size: Litter box has many different sizes. You should not pick one too small because your kitten will grow very fast.
– Type: Today the market is selling many types of litter boxes with only trays or with lids. Depending on your cat’s wishes or personality, choose the one that suits you.
– Smell: Best to keep your cat safe, you should choose an odorless litter. Some cats will be allergic to odors and will not want to work with your Litter box.
– Quantity: Each cat should have its own Litter box. Some cats will not smell another cat’s urine. So if you have a lot of cats, buy lots of Litter boxes.
- Scooper and drop: In addition to Litter Box, you still have to prepare some other tools like scooper. You should spread a pad under Litter Box so that it will not scratch and dirty your floor.
- Treat food and toys: Prepare your cat’s rewards so that he or she can feel encouraged when they do exactly what you teach. You buy the foods or the toys they like to play to reward them. This greatly supports the success of your training.
Welcoming a kitten into your home means you have to find a cozy and clean place for her. So if you want to teach your cat how to use the Litter Box, you also have to be prepared a great place. So what would be an ideal place for Litter Box?
- You need to choose a place to avoid crowded ones such as hallways, lobbies, living rooms, kitchens. Because you and other members of your family will use these places many times a day. The cat will not feel comfortable using the Litter Box. Cats are privacy animals, sometimes she found in the corner of a sofa or at the foot of a bed.
- You also need to choose a quiet place. Because cats will be panic if they hear loud noises (for example, the sound of a washing machine or a hairdryer).
- When you take your cat home, let him walk around the house and notice where he likes the most. It will also be an ideal location for you to choose to use for Litter Box.
- You should not move Litter Box to too many different locations in the house because the kitten will be confused and cannot remember the exact location. They may find somewhere else to urinate and defecate.
How to litter train a kitten in 5 easy steps
Once you feel ready after what you have prepared everything, let’s see how to litter train a kitten.
Because it’s probably the first time your kitten has seen a Litter Box, they will feel very dull, they will not understand what you are teaching them. So you have to do procedures to introduce Litter Box to them. You put them in the tray and see what they will do with that tray.
If they start digging and making holes, they seem to understand the use of the Litter Box. If they are surprised or just standing motionless, you can grab their forelegs and train them to get used to the sand.
How to litter train a cat, by the nature of a cat, they will like to dig and they will hide their waste under the ground or somewhere very difficult to find. So it will not be difficult to introduce them to the Litter Box. And do not take much time for them to know the function of this tray.
Once the kitten is aware of the use of the Litter Box, train your cat to become accustomed to urinating and defecating in that tray. Put them in the tray after they eat or wake up so they will use the Litter Box as a habit. Normally they need to urinate and poop after they have had enough to eat or have just woken up.
- Repeat & repeat
Try to keep the kitten in the tray until she is able to do it herself. This job will take time and patience. You should be mentally prepared and keep a positive attitude.
Do not forget to reward them for doing this well. When encouraged they will do this more actively. Rub their heads every time they do well or feed them food. Although they are cats, they can still understand us through our repeated eyes, gestures and words.
- Clean Litter Box
Tidying up the tray is something you’ll never forget. This is an important part of deciding whether or not your kitten will use Litter Box. You have to make them feel Litter Box is a place they like to use because it’s clean and fragrant.
Things to avoid
- Don’t scold a kitten
Cats are sensitive animals, so when they are scolded, they will have negative feelings. They will become frightened and do not want to be near us. They may even run away from you when they see you standing in front of them because they are afraid of being yelled at again. They will tend to hide from you. They will go to places where there is no one. Instead of peeing in Litter Box, they will choose other places in the house because they are afraid to see you somewhere. This is bad, isn’t it?
- Forget observing and monitoring
During the process of how to litter train a kitten, don’t forget to observe your kitten see if he has any problems. Without observing and correcting obstacles, it will be difficult for you to succeed in training your cat to use Litter Box. Not only that, but the health of the kitten will also be able to express something through their feces and urine. So the observation and monitoring are extremely important and necessary. So you can make appropriate adjustments or take them to the vet if they have any health problems.
- Looking forward to a quick result
As mentioned above, this training requires a lot of time and patience. So don’t be surprised why the results are taking so long. That is normal. Kittens need to be taught many times to remember the habits we teach them. Sometimes they will be forgotten and done wrong and you feel angry and upset about it. But try a little more, everything will be fine. Your kitten will definitely do well.
- A Litter Box is dirty and smelly
Keeping the tray clean is paramount to ensuring the process will succeed. A cat will not cooperate if the tray we prepare for it is not always clean. A cat is also an instinctive animal to be clean. You can see them rolling around in the garden and in the dirt, but they still know how to clean by licking the fur.
Your kittens can not be using Litter Box
There is no shortage of cases in which your kittens can not using Litter Box. Now you need to find out why they behave this. Here are some common reasons.
Yes. The first most likely reason is the tray problem. The tray may not be clean enough for them to be used comfortably. Or you have fewer tray numbers than cats. There are kittens who do not mind sharing Litter Box with other kittens, but there are other situations. Some cats will hate the smell of others’ urine. They will stay away from places that smell.
The surface of the tray will usually be sand. But some cats feel uncomfortable with the sand because it makes them feel uncomfortable or painful. Or they may be allergic to the smell of that sand.
Perhaps they are not happy with the location you have chosen. They simply didn’t like it or because the place was too noisy and a lot of people walked around. It was too dark or too bright for a reason. Maybe it was a location with strange sounds and they were startled so they were afraid and didn’t want to go back there. For example, when they are using a tray, suddenly the washing machine spins them to startle and panic.
- Health status
Maybe they have a health problem. They feel sick. Or their intestine is in trouble, so they cannot urinate or have a bowel movement or have unusual complications such as diarrhea or constipation. If they have diarrhea, sometimes they won’t have enough time to go to the Litter Box.
- Territory marking
Cats are also one of the species that has a territorial personality. Often they will use urine to do this. So sometimes you see that your cats are not using Litter Box, maybe they want to show a little bit of instinct. Or maybe they want to do it because they are feeling a difficult situation. She is marking her territory to reassure or assert herself.
- Used to be punished
Kittens may not use the Litter Box because they have been blamed by someone for doing it wrong. So they feel haunted and this makes them uncomfortable using the tray.
We will have a few suggestions for solutions as follows:
- Move the tray to another position we feel more suitable than before. If your cat is okay with its litter box situation, but now unhappy because you’ve changed something about it, in all ways, change it again!
- Clean up dirty areas well. Animals are very motivated to continue to contaminate an area that smells like urine or feces. Cats’ sense of smell is much stronger than humans, so it is important to clean the dirty areas thoroughly and properly.
- Add other trays in a few other places in the house to give kittens more choices and feel more familiar.
- Replace the surface layer if it is a problem. You can replace litter with paper scraps. If your cat likes a smooth surface, try to give an empty box or placing a very thin layer of litter at one end of the box. Leave the other end empty, and place the box on a hard floor. If your cat has a history of being outdoors, use soil.
Hopefully, this article has given you more information on how to litter train a kitten. Most cats are happy to use litter boxes because their instinct is to bury their urine and feces. There is always a reason why they stop using their box and that doesn’t drive you crazy. Take a look at what is happening in the world of your cat. You will be able to discover the source of trouble and make changes.
If you are preparing to adopt a kitten, do not ignore the above information. They are very useful.
Wishing you lots of fun with your kitten!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?